Building Knative Serverless Python Function
Knative is a Kubernetes-based platform designed to deploy, run, and manage serverless workloads. This article will walk you through creating a Knative serverless function using Python to detect the current weather using the OpenWeatherMap API.
Table of Contents:
- Setting Up Your OpenFaaS Environment
- Creating the Function
- Deploying the Function
- Testing the Function
- Keep Learning: More on Serverless
- A Kubernetes cluster with Knative Serving installed
kubectlCLI installed and configured to interact with your cluster
- Python 3 installed
- An OpenWeatherMap API key
Creating the Function
Create a new directory for your function:
requirements.txt file inside the
weather-function directory to include the
main.py file inside the
weather-function directory with the following code:
This function uses the
requests library to fetch the current weather data from the OpenWeatherMap API based on the provided location.
Dockerfile inside the
weather-function directory with the following content:
This Dockerfile sets up a Python environment, installs the required libraries, and runs the Flask application.
Deploying the Function
Build the function Docker image:
Push the function Docker image to a Docker registry:
weather-function.yaml file with the following content:
your-docker-username with your actual Docker
YOUR_API_KEY with your existing OpenWeatherMap API key.
Deploy the function to your Knative environment:
Testing the Function
After deploying your function, you can test it by sending an HTTP request to its endpoint.
Get the domain name for your function:
This command will return the domain name of your function.
Send a POST request to the function using curl:
http://weather-function.default.example.com with the domain name you obtained in the previous step.
You should receive a JSON response containing the weather information:
In this article, we demonstrated how to create and deploy a Knative serverless function using Python to detect the current weather using the OpenWeatherMap API. Knative enables you to build serverless applications on Kubernetes, providing a powerful platform for deploying and scaling your functions as needed.
Keep Learning: More on Serverless
Discover the world of serverless architecture in our comprehensive collection of articles! Equip yourself with valuable knowledge and skills in the exciting realm of serverless computing by exploring the following topics:
- What is serverless architecture and what are its pros and cons: Understand the ins and outs of serverless architecture, its advantages, and its drawbacks.
- Building serverless contact form for static websites: Learn how to create a serverless contact form for your static website.
- Serverless Technology: Exploring Cloud Providers, Benefits, Challenges, and Kubernetes Integration: Dive deeper into the serverless landscape and grasp the fundamentals of how it operates.
- Building Serverless OpenFaaS function to detect weather using OpenWeatherMap and Python: Discover another approach to building a serverless function using OpenFaaS, OpenWeatherMap API, and Python.
Don’t just stop there; continue your journey and delve even further into the fascinating and expansive world of serverless technologies and their endless possibilities.
Subscribe to Faizan Bashir
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox